Twenty years ago there was a major planar accident, an epic-level screwup of such magnitude that it pushed the prime material plane out of its place in the cosmos. Ever since then the world has been getting colder and colder. The whole world is in the worst ice age you can imagine - the equator's frozen and the poles are wide-open portals to the paraelemental plane of Ice. If not for magic, everyone would be dead. There are only a quarter million people left alive.
But there is hope: you.
Permafrost is a 42-page PDF introducing ten new 20-level base classes. The book also includes forty plot seeds, a new monster template, the effects of winds, weather, and cold all in one place, and two versions of the PDF for reading on-screen or black-and-white printing. A minimalist setting ties it all together, allowing you to expand on it the way you want, or strip it out to use these classes in your own campaign.
Since the new classes are the core of the supplement, how about a list?
- Core Seeker: The ultimate dungeoneers, core seekers combine a ranger's survival skills and a rogue's facility with traps in order to explore the underground.
- Crystalhome Adept: Monks forced to deal with a city full of refugees, these adepts have traded some of their combat skills for social prowess and crystal-oriented powers.
- Iceborn Raider: A rogue-like class with flexible invisibility-based powers, iceborn raiders steal from others to stay alive.
- Knight of the Snows: Servants of the Snowflake Queen (a fae goddess), with the ability to create cold-oriented weapons and armor out of snow.
- Mad Hermit: Left alone in the wilderness too long, some people lose their minds. Sometimes, other things move in and take up residence. Then the rage comes.
- Magma Mage: Blow. Things. Up. Ever wanted to make your own volcano? Here's a class that can do it.
- Naga Cultist: Part socialite, part assassin, with a poisonous touch. Naga cultists bring forth the will of their masters on the upper world.
- Planar Initiate: A psion-derived class focusing on knowledge and the outer planes.
- Reborn Archon: An actual archon, reborn in a living body, with access to powerful healing and protective spells.
- Servant of Death: More mortician than necromancer, these gravekeepers can turn into the undead and have a powerful unliving ally.
Permafrost also introduces Signature spells, an excellent way to reduce the complexity of your high-level spellcasters without sacrificing their effectiveness.
At just seventy-five cents per base class, Permafrost is an excellent use of your hard-earned money, and a must-have for anyone running an arctic-themed game. It is currently available at RPGNow.com, and will soon be found at DriveThruRPG and e23.com.
Permafrost requires a set of the core rules or SRD in order to run. It is not a complete game.
Cover art © Colin Fredericks
All materials are © Copyright Valent Games, 1992-2006. All rights reserved.